Ivor Novello awards: Dave, Little Simz and Calvin Harris among 2020 winners
Dave, Little Simz, Calvin Harris, Jamie Cullum and Joan Armatrading are among the winners of this year’s Ivor Novello awards.
Other artists and songwriters honoured for 2020 include Labrinth, Mysie and Rag ‘n’ Bone Man.
Now in their 65th year, the Ivors celebrate excellence in British and Irish songwriting and composing, and also recognise a number of artists for their wider contribution to UK music.
Originally due to take place in May this year, the presentation was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and the winners have now been announced.
Rapper Dave and writer and producer Fraser T Smith picked up the prize for best contemporary song, for Black, which judges described as “important, eloquent and a song that not only empowers, but is borderless in its musicality”.
It is their second Ivor won together, following success in 2018.
The best album prize went to another rap star, Little Simz, for Grey Area, while Giant, the song performed and written by Calvin Harris and Rag ‘n’ Bone Man, was awarded the PRS for Music most performed work of 2019 gong.
Jamie Cullum collected his first Ivor for the “beautifully emotive” Age Of Anxiety, which was honoured in the best song musically and lyrically category.
Newcomer Mysie picked up the new rising star award, while Joan Armatrading was awarded the Academy fellowship for her exceptional contribution to music – following in the footsteps of songwriting greats Paul McCartney, Elton John and Annie Lennox.
Songwriter of the year went to Steve Mac, who co-wrote some of last year’s biggest hits, including Brit winner Mabel’s Don’t Call Me Up, South Of The Border by Ed Sheeran featuring Camilla Cabello and Cardi B, and Better Man and Harder by Jax Jones and Bebe Rexha.
Here is the full list of 2020 winners
- Best album: Grey Area – written by Inflo and Little Simz, performed by Little Simz
- Best contemporary song: Black – written by Dave and Fraser T Smith, performed by Dave
- Best original film score: Midsommar – composed by Bobby Krlic
- Best original video game score: Draugen – composed by Simon Poole
- Best song musically and lyrically: Age Of Anxiety – written and performed by Jamie Cullum
- Best television soundtrack: Euphoria – composed by Labrinth
- PRS for Music most performed work: Giant – written by Calvin Harris, Jamie Hartman, Rag ‘n’ Bone Man and Troy Miller, performed by Calvin Harris and Rag ‘n’ Bone Man
- Rising star – Mysie
- Songwriter of the year – Steve Mac
- Academy Fellowship – Joan Armatrading
(c) Sky News 2020: Ivor Novello awards: Dave, Little Simz and Calvin Harris among 2020 winners